Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Yamato Marvel Universe Classic - Box in Box: Iron Man (Ebay.com)

Starting with this post, I'm not going to mention how much, I got an Iron Man item. But I will mention where I got it, if it's any consolation. Japan based Yamato has been known for their Trigun, Samurai X and sexy female Gashapons (or trading figures). I'm biased when I heard that they are licensed to create products based on Marvel Characters. I'm sure they'll look great, but the Philippines isn't Gashapon country, so I might have a hard time looking for one. In fact a set of 6 Box in Box figures in a local specialty shop sells for P2150. Fair price for something that's imported, but I only want one character, and I'll have problems disposing the other characters I don't want. The set they're selling doesn't include the variant metallic color, ouch.



Yamato's Marvel Box in Box figures come in blind boxes (sealed boxes with no indication of the figure inside). So I was lucky that someone in Ebay is selling individual figures at a very reasonable price. The first thing you'll notice when you open the box is there's another box inside the figure with a display window. Hence, BOX in BOX.



The Iron Man figure is split into 6 parts. It's made of soft rubbery vinyl and it's a pain to assemble because of the small holes. The sculpt reminds me of the classic MEGO figures. In fact even the pink BOX where you can display the assembled figure is based on the old MEGO packaging. There's nothing really special about the sculpt, but if you're into retro - you'll surely love it. The paint apps are plain, and it works well for the metallic color variant. There's some articulation in the shoulders, head and waist. You need to attach the figure to the base to make it stand properly. When assembled the figure stands around 3.75 inches.



Is it worth getting? These things are probably cheap in HongKong, if you can find one there, grab it! Otherwise, it's not a big deal if you don't have one in your collection. If you love the classic red and yellow Iron Man costume + if you love MEGO, chances are, you'll like this little baby.



The Rundown:
• metallic and regular color (but the metallic looks better)
• retro Mego look-alike goodness
• freakin' tough to assemble
• abundant in Hongkong, but if you don't live there, expect to find these online

No comments: